U4CW - How to Get Help

How to Get Help

Do I Need Help with My Mental Health?
Individuals should consider what is typical for themselves and particularly pay attention to changes.
  • Prolonged depression, sadness, or irritability
  • Feeling extreme highs and lows
  • Excessive fears, worries and anxieties
  • Social withdrawal (not related to COVID restrictions) and declining interest in normal activities
  • Big changes in sleeping or eating habits
  • Strong feelings of anger
  • Inability to cope with daily problems and activities
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Hallucinations or delusions
  • Significant change in work or school performance
When these issues last more than 2 weeks or interfere with your daily activities, it might be time to get some additional help.
Ways to Get Help?
  • Talk to your health care provider to discuss options and to obtain a referral if needed.
  • Check your insurance coverage – some insurances have specific providers for mental health.
  • Does your employer have an EAP (employee assistance program) you can access?
  • Ask family/friends for recommendations.
  • Use natural supports that can assist you to get help (Clergy, Family, Friends, Coworkers).
  • If you need help for your child, talk to  your child’s School Counselor.
  • Call United Way’s 211 or your county’s crisis line for information on local mental health providers.
  • Call local mental health providers and ask about their services, availability, cost, etc..
  • Make an appointment with a mental health provider
If you are in emotional distress and need help now…
  • For Immediate or Emergency Safety concerns dial 911
  • Talk to someone you trust (family, friend, clergy, etc.)
  • If you are in counseling - contact your therapist to set up an appointment
  • Contact a 24/7 helpline:
  • Wood Co. Crisis: 715-384-5555
  • Marathon County Crisis – 715-845-4326
  • Clark County Crisis – 715-743-3400
  • National Crisis Line: 800-273-TALK 
  • Text HOPELINE: 741741